Meghan Markle’s special day almost ended in tragedy, or at least that’s what they have revealed to the spokesman for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who reported that the couple went through a big scare after a group of paparazzi chased them through the streets of New York.
The Duchess, her mother, Doria Ragland, and Prince Harry attended the Ms. Foundation for Women, where the former actress was honored for her professional work. A ceremony that took place in the Big Apple. However, the splendor of the gala almost ended in a scare.
After finishing the ceremony, the couple, along with Markle’s mother, left the celebration and headed by car to their destination. It was then that this terrible chase, which lasted more than two hours and could have had a fatal outcome, began.
What really happened in car chase of Prince Harry and Meghan
The couple’s spokesperson reported details of the unpleasant moment the Sussexes experienced.
“Last night, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Ms. Ragland were involved in a near catastrophic car chase at the hands of a ring of highly aggressive paparazzi. This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers,” the spokesman said Wednesday.
“While being a public figure comes with a level of interest from the public, it should never come at the cost of anyone’s safety,” Prince Harry and Meghan’s spokesperson added.
“Dissemination of these images, given the ways in which they were obtained, encourages a highly intrusive practice that is dangerous to all in involved.” he said.
Was there a Meghan and Harry car accident?
Although it was said that it could have caused an accident, the truth is that both the couple and the mother of the Duchess of Sussex are in perfect condition.
The New York police made a statement despite the seriousness of the facts.
“On Tuesday evening, May 16, the NYPD assisted the private security team protecting the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. There were numerous photographers that made their transport challenging. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrived at their destination and there were no reported collisions, summonses, injuries, or arrests in regard.”
New York City Mayor Eric Adams also commented on the incident.
“It’s clear that the press, paparazzis, they want to get the right shot, they want to get the right story, but public safety must always be at the forefront,” Adams said.
“Two of our officers could have been injured,” the mayor continued. “New York City is different from a small town somewhere. You shouldn’t be speeding anywhere, but this is a densely populated city and I think all of us … I don’t think there’s many of us who don’t recall how [Prince Harry’s] mom died and it would be horrific to lose innocent bystanders during a chase like this, and something to have happened to them as well, so I think we have to be extremely responsible.” He added, “I thought that was a bit reckless and irresponsible.”
On the length of the chase, he said he finds it hard to believe that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were chased for two hours, especially given the type of traffic in New York City, but any chase is dangerous.
“I would find it hard to believe there was a two-hour high-speed chase.” However, he said even if it was a 10-minute chase, it would still be “extremely dangerous in New York City.”
“We have a lot of traffic, a lot of movement, a lot of people are using our streets,” Adams added. “Any type of high speed chase that involves something of that nature is inappropriate.”
So far, Buckingham Palace has not commented on Meghan and Prince Harry’s car chase.
what happened to prince Harry and Meghan
The photo agency BACKGRID USA Inc. shared a statement to People magazine about the incident and assured that they had no intention of causing trouble.
“They had no intention of causing any distress or harm, as their only tool was their cameras. A few of the photos even show Meghan Markle smiling inside a cab.”
They further noted that it was the driver of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s car who was driving in a manner that could be described as “reckless”.
“The photographers report that one of the four SUVs from Prince Harry’s security escort was driving in a manner that could be perceived as reckless. The vehicle was seen blocking off streets, and in one video, it is shown being pulled over by the police. We understand that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s security detail had a job to do, and we respect their work. We do, however, want to point out that according to the photographers present, there were no near-collisions or near-crashes during this incident. The photographers have reported feeling that the couple was not in immediate danger at any point.”