Meghan Markle’s fight with the Mail on Sunday once again has a new twist against the Duchess with the latest statement from the courts.
According to CBS, the judge ruled that the editor of the British newspaper Mail on Sunday can use the content of a recent book about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in his legal defense of the invasion of privacy lawsuit filed by the Duchess.
Judge Francesca Kaye gave Associated Newspapers Ltd. permission to amend its defense and add “more details” related to the book “Finding Freedom,” which was published last month.
Meghan Markle’s fight with the Mail on Sunday
Meghan Markle, 39, is suing the publisher over five articles that were published in February 2019 in the Mail on Sunday and on the MailOnline website where parts of a handwritten letter she wrote to her father Thomas were revealed. Markle, after her marriage to Harry in 2018.
The defendant media challenged the claim in London High Court. Her lawyers argue that Meghan made the personal information public by cooperating with the authors of the book “to present her own version of events in a way that is favorable to her.”
Antony White, an attorney for Associated Newspapers, said in written court filings that the book appeared to have been written with the “broad cooperation” of Meghan and Harry.
Meghan’s lawyers deny that she collaborated with the book’s authors, Carolyn Durand and Omid Scobie.
The Schillings law firm, which represents Meghan, said after the ruling that the publisher’s defense “is without merit.”